Oh ya baby – it’s iron versus steel again.
So does the suit make the man or does the man make the suit? Well, when the man in question is Tony Stark, the one sure thing that the man in the suit will be making is box office magic!
So every year, this movie mad blog gets into movie prediction mode and the movie for this year is ‘Iron Man 3’.
Forget the title of this post people – it’s a given – Iron Man 3 is gonna be this year’s gold. ‘Man of Steel’ is a lil too intellectual and dark a movie to be the year’s champ. Not just that, it’s got too many new things about it for it to find box office mojo in the international markets; and it somehow has the same vibe like Begins’ (yes, but much grander), you know, the first (of a trilogy maybe?) that’ll herald bigger things to come.
Though I will admit that it’s another movie that I think might just upset this prediction; read on to find that unlikely warrior.
Here are the reasons why methinks it’s gonna be an Iron Year this year:
* Marvel : Marvel is like the world’s longest running movie commercial– every year, one big, fat, huge Marvel movie comes out, blows up the box office and in the credits, it points to another Marvel movie. This has been happening since the first ‘Iron Man’ in 2008 and last year’s biggest movie, ‘The Avengers’ had Tony Stark eating shawarma and kicking alien butt, making sure that we’ll queue up for his next adventure, which inevitably is Iron Man 3.
* Another Shane Black-RoDoJr movie : The director and actor of 'Iron Man 3' have made another earlier movie together. Has anyone seen ‘Kiss Kiss Bang Bang (KKBB)’, that smart, delicious stunner of a clever movie with unbelievably witty lines that plays with your cerebra (“I’m retired, I invented dice”)? It’s an awesome movie and that’s what the director Shane Black is capable of. And strangely enough, RoDoJr in KKBB is like an adolescent version of Tony Stark, of course minus the idiot and with all of the razor sharp wit. If you think Iron Man 3 is exactly what both Shane and RoDoJr did in KKBB, then it’s gonna be one hell of a dhamakedhaar movie! I’m betting that it is and we will have some great one-liners. Oh btw, initial reviews are very positive.
* Tony! Tony! Tony! Tony! – Admit it, the real reason why Iron Man is so cool is because of the oh-so-ubercool-and-unconventional - “Fuck you, I’m Iron Man!” - superhero that “uh, genius, billionaire, playboy, philanthropist” big man in a suit, Tony Stark is. And we loved him for his ubercool and for his cooler lines. In Iron Man3, they’re reportedly showing more of Tony. And that’s really good news. Really.
* Oooo! The excitement! - OK, so did ya see the trailers? Did Ya? Did Ya? Also, there has been not-so-subtle tidbits that the ending of this movie is “bigger than Avengers”. Also, since they’re saying that the opening weekend would be ‘huge’, the buzz is strong. Also, the next big movie at the box office (Star Trek) is two weeks away – so Stark has two whole weeks to do his magic.
* China – It’s the international markets that bring in the moolah for Hollywood nowadays. And internationally, Iron Man 3 is all poised for the explosion. In India itself, it’s being released a week before US and is dubbed into some 2-3 languages and RoDoJr is already touring China, Japan and other big movie markets of the universe. And yes, China. The Red Dragon is now the second largest movie market and Iron Man 3 has a separate movie version made only for China.
* It’s Summer Captain! - Forget Oblivion – Summer 2013 kick starts with Iron Man 3 releasing in the last week of April in international markets, a week ahead of its US release. This is this summer’s opening movie and RoDoJr is travelling the world to promote it. Unlike ‘Man of Steel’, Iron Man 3 is the perfect summer movie – lotsa fun, lotsa color and lotsa explosions.
And impressive is definitely this year’s crop – besides ‘Man of Steel’, there’s ’Fast 6, Elysium, Hangover3, Star Trek, WWZ, many from the animation department…..
So folks, what’s your bet for this year? Is it Iron Man, Man of Steel, Fast Six, Star Trek or Hangover? Or something else?
Iron, Steel, Speed, Space or Booze? U tell baby?